William Fromandi was born on December 11, 1841 in Germany. He is best known in the Northern Kentucky area for operating a saloon in Lewisburg at the turn of the Twentieth Century. The saloon was located at the corner of Lewis and Worth Streets. Fromandi not only sold beer and liquor, but also served food. At this time, Lewisburg contained a number of breweries and slaughterhouses. Fromandi’s establishment served lunch to many of the workers in these establishments. Behind a tall wooden fence at the rear of the saloon building was located Fromandi’s zoo. In this enclosure, William Fromandi housed a number of animals, including: A bear, wolf, fox, four-foot alligator, weasel, snakes, raccoon, wildcat and a monkey. The zoo was a favorite place for the young people of Covington to visit. Residents of the neighborhood simply referred to Fromandi’s business as the “monkey house.” William Fromandi was married to Theresa Stauble Fromandi. The couple had one son, Theodor Fromandi. The family resided at 925 Worth Street. William Fromandi died on May 18, 1925 at the age of 84. Mass of Christian Burial was held at St. John Church in Lewisburg with burial at St. John Cemetery in Fort Mitchell. Fromandi’s saloon business was continued by John Zembrodt, his grandson. Zembrodt operated the Hillside café during the 1950s. Kentucky Death Certificate: William Fromandi 1925; Kentucky Times-Star, July 24, 1902, p. 3 and February 10, 1915, p. 14; Kentucky Post, May 18, 1925, p. 2; Geaslen, Chester, Strolling Along Memory Lane.
Comments are closed.