Pastor of Trinity Episcopal Church in Covington and Community booster. James D. Gibson was born in Middleway, West Virginia on October 12, 1883. His parents were the Reverend John S. Gibson and Alicia Davis Gibson. James D. Gibson earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of West Virginia and in 1908, graduated from the Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria, Virginia. He was ordained an Episcopal Priest in 1909. Gibson’s early assignments included: Rector of Christ Church in Wellsburg, West Virginia (1909-1911); Rector of St. Paul Church in Norfolk, Virginia (1911-1915); Assistant Pastor at the Church of the Redeemer in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania (1915-1917); and St. Stephen Church in Richmond, Virginia. In 1921, James D. Gibson was assigned Rector of Trinity Church in Covington in September 1921. The congregation purchased a rectory for the minister and his family at Fourth and Garrard Streets in Covington. Within a short period of time, however, a more modern rectory was purchased on Beechwood Road in neighboring Fort Mitchell. During his tenure, St. John Episcopal Church, 18th and Scott Streets, merged with Trinity in 1925. Reverend James D. Gibson was very active in Community activities in Northern Kentucky. He was president of the Northern Kentucky Motor Club and the Covington Rotary. He was also a member of the Indra Consistory Scottish Rite Masons (he achieved the 32nd degree). Reverend Gibson married Mary Ledbetter of Alexandria, Virginia on November 3, 1909. The couple had five children: John Gibson, Davis Gibson, Douglas Gibson, Philip Gibson and Janet Gibson. In February 1932, Reverend Gibson was taken to St. Elizabeth Hospital in Covington. He never recovered. Gibson died on March 5, 1932. He was 48 years of age. He was survived by his wife and five children. Funeral services were conducted by Reverend H.P. Almon Abbott, Bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Lexington at Trinity Church. Burial was at Highland Cemetery in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky. Kentucky Death Certificate 1932; Kentucky Post, March 6, 1932, p. 1, March 7, 1932, p. 1 and March 9, 1932, p. 1; Roth, George F., Trinity Episcopal Church (Covington, Kentucky: Published by the Church) 1991, pp. 125-126.
Comments are closed.