(Also known as Old Mother of God Cemetery or St. Joseph Cemetery),
Avenue and 26th Street, Covington, Kenton County
of God Parish
Closed: Yes, a majority of remains were re-interred at the new Mother of God
Burials: German Catholics of Covington and vicinity
Available at the Library: KR 976.935 S156j
History: The cemetery was established in 1849 as a parish cemetery for the
Mother of God congregation (the second oldest Catholic parish in Covington).
The original deeds for the property were signed by Bishop Purcell
of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati (this was before the creation of
the Diocese of Covington in 1853). From the beginning, however, the
cemetery also received burials from other German-Catholic parishes
in the area.
cemetery filled quickly, and by the late 1800s was nearly full. At
this time, Mother of God Parish began plans for the establishment
of a new cemetery in Latonia/Ft. Wright. When the new Mother of God
Cemetery opened, a number of families decided to re-inter their loved
1900 and 1960, Buena Vista, or old Mother of God Cemetery, fell into
a disrepair. Vandals did much damage to the headstones, and a general
lack of maintenance had taken its toll. At this time, the Diocese
of Covington agreed to lease the cemetery property to the City of
Covington for $1.00 per year for recreational uses. Before the lease
took effect, however, efforts were made to locate all the remaining
graves and to move them to the new cemetery in Latonia/Fort Wright.
The only reminder of the old cemetery is a fenced pen housing several
stacks of headstones that were removed when the graves were re-interred.
Street Cemetery, Covington
Location: Covington's west-end, 6th Street near the intersection
with the railroad overpass
Established: c. 1820 (land donated by the Gano family)
Owner: City of Covington
Closed: 1872 (Majority of remains re-interred at Highland Cemetery, Fort Mitchell)
Burials: Covington residents, predominantly Protestant
Available at the Library: No records exist
History: When the City of Covington was laid out in 1815, the founders recognized
the need for a burial ground. There is no direct evidence as to when
the first burial took place at the Craig Street Cemetery in the west
end. The first know documentation of the cemetery is in 1823.
the 1860s, the Craig Street Burial Ground was in a bad state of disrepair
and there was little room available for additional burials. The City
of Covington, which cared for the property, decided to move the cemetery
in 1872. Between July and December 1872, over 1,700 bodies were removed
from the site. Most were re-interred at Highland Cemetery in Fort
1883, the property was graded and subdivided. Sixth Street was extended
through part of the property, and the railroad acquired an additional
portion. The remainder of the property was sold to the general public.
Location: 25 Alexandria Pike, Southgate, Campbell County
Owner: Newport Cemetery Company
Available at the Library: Microfilm - CEME-E 1-19; KR 976.934 M613e; KR 976.934 M613ss
History: The cemetery was established in 1850 by the Newport Cemetery Company.
The original plot of land consisted on 17 acres. During the Civil
War, the Shaler Battery was located on the highest point in the cemetery.
This battery was part of the extensive defenses built to protect Cincinnati
from Confederate invasion.
number of graves, however, pre-date the 1850 time period. Older graves
from two Newport cemeteries were moved to Evergreen in the years following
the Civil War.
residence for the sexton of the cemetery was constructed in 1872.
Seven years later, in 1879, the name of the cemetery was officially
acknowledged as Evergreen. By 1902, a chapel had been constructed
on the cemetery grounds and was used for funeral services and layouts.
the cemetery contains 250 acres and accepts burials from throughout
Location: 3227 Dixie Highway, Erlanger, Kenton County
Owner: Private Ownership
Available at the Library: None
History: In 1935, Marguerite Stetter, of Bellevue, purchased the old Tom Cody
Estate on the Dixie Highway for use as a cemetery. Tom Cody had utilized
the property for a restaurant and picnic grounds (1913-1935).
January 1937, the first burial took place at Forest Lawn. The absence
of large grave markers and monuments made Forest Lawn unique in the
1930's. The cemetery was built as a "garden." Grave markers were to
remain small and flush with the ground, thus, maintaining a rural
the decades, Forest Lawn has grown to become one of the largest cemeteries
in Northern Kentucky.
Location: 2167 Dixie Highway, Fort Mitchell, Kenton County
Dedicated: June 22, 1869
Owner: Private Association
Cemetery, Predominantly Protestant
Available at the Library: Microfilm - CEME-H 1-19
History: Traditionally, Protestant Covingtonians buried their dead at the Craig
Street Cemetery. By the late 1860s, the Craig Street Cemetery was
full. On December 12, 1868, a number of prominent Covington citizens
met at the Odd Fellows Hall on Madison Avenue to discuss the establishment
of a new cemetery. Most agreed that a more rural setting with enough
acreage to expand would be ideal.
1869, three large parcels of land on the Lexington Pike (Dixie Highway)
in Fort Mitchell were purchased as a site. A subscription drive was
begun in January 1869 to raise the necessary funds. In time, over
$23,000.00 was raised. The committee decided to name the cemetery
"Highland" because of its geographical location.
June 1869, section I of the new Highland Cemetery was completed. The
first burial at Highland Cemetery was that of Mary Ann Blythe, who
had died on December 21, 1868. She had been originally interred at
Linden Grove Cemetery in Covington before being re-interred in Fort
Cemetery was officially dedicated on June 22, 1869. At this time the
cemetery consisted of 114 acres (today, the cemetery contains over
Location: 1421 Holman Avenue, Covington, Kenton CountyEstablished: c. 1835
Consecrated: September 18, 1843
residents, predominantly Protestant, Also African-Americans
Available at the Library: Microfilm - CEME-L 1-16; KR 976.935 L744gi
History: In 1833, the Western Baptist Theological Institute purchased approximately
150 acres of land south of the City of Covington for the construction
of a major theological seminary. A college building and several homes
Institute laid out a small cemetery on a portion of their extensive
property. The cemetery was originally called the Cincinnati and Covington
Cemetery. By the early 1840s, the Craig Street Cemetery in Covington
was reaching capacity. The trustees of the Theological Institute saw
the expansion of their cemetery as a means to increase income for
their educational endeavors. Plans were developed to expand and improve
the cemetery. Ephraim Robbins was given the commission to design an
extensive cemetery that would serve the entire Covington area.
the construction of roads, a pond, and the planting of many trees
and shrubs, Linden Grove Cemetery (the new name for the endeavor)
was officially consecrated on September 18, 1843. Representatives
from the various Protestant churches of the city were in attendance.
growth of the City of Covington eventually surrounded the cemetery.
Today the property is bordered by 13th, Kavanaugh and Linden
Streets. In 1858, the cemetery was sold to Samuel Walker, who continued
to improve the facilities.
construction of Highland Cemetery in Ft. Mitchell in 1869, decreased
the number of burials at Linden Grove. By the 1920s, the cemetery
was in a dilapidated condition. In 1948, the cemetery was placed in
receivership due to financial difficulties.
Location: Madison Avenue and Latonia, Covington, Kenton County
Owner: Private, Board of Trustees (Roman Catholic)
Burials: Regional Cemetery, Predominantly German CatholicsRecords
Available at the Library: Microfilm - CEME-M 1-8History: By the 1880s, Buena Vista (or old Mother of God Cemetery) was reaching
capacity. The need for a larger cemetery was addressed by the members
of Mother of God Parish in 1887. On November 29 of that year, the
Mother of God Cemetery Association of German Catholics of Covington
was established. The association's primary task was to purchase land
and lay out a new cemetery.
the ensuing years, Mother of God Cemetery evolved from a parish cemetery
to a regional one. Trustees began to be chosen from the various German-speaking
Catholic parishes in Covington.
cemetery contains a beautiful crucifixion scene sculpted by the famous
Covington sculptor Clement Barnhorn. The cemetery is also the resting-place
for the famed Covington artist Frank Duveneck.
the Diocese of Covington Cemetery Office was established in the 1960s,
the trustees of Mother of God Cemetery decided to remain independent.
Spring Grove Cemetery, Cincinnati Ohio (Digital
images of records) Many
well-to-do Northern Kentuckians are buried here.
Online Search Available
Location: Ridge Road, Fort Mitchell, Kenton County
Consecrated: May 19, 1867 By Bishop Augustus Maria Toebbe
Owner: St. John Catholic Church, Covington (Since the 1960s, part of the
Diocese of Covington Cemetery System)
Burials: Regional Cemetery, Predominantly German Catholic
Available at the Library: Tombstone Inscriptions - KR 976.935 S156j (3 Volumes)
History: St. John Parish is the third oldest Catholic congregation in the City
of Covington. Originally located at the corner of Leonard and Worth
Streets, the parish complex was rebuilt on Pike Street in the early
1867, the parish, under the supervision of Father Andreas Michel,
purchased a parcel of land on the Lexington Pike (Dixie Highway) in
the present day City of Fort Mitchell for use as a cemetery. The cemetery
was consecrated on May 19, 1867.
John Cemetery developed slowly over the next fifty years. During the
pastorate of Father William Tappert (1873-18879) a number of improvements
were made at the cemetery. At this time, land was graded, permanent
roads were constructed and numerous ornamental trees and shrubs were
planted. Also at this time, Father A.M. Meyer, pastor of St. Boniface
Parish in Ludlow, constructed a small frame chapel in the cemetery,
which was dedicated to Blessed Virgin Mary under the title of "Comforter
of the afflicted."
John Cemetery remained a parish cemetery until the 1960s when it was
absorbed by the Diocese of Covington Cemetery System.
Location: 2201 Dixie Highway, Fort Mitchell, Kenton County
Blessed: July 17, 1870 by Bishop Augustus Maria Toebbe
Owner: Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption (Since the 1960s, part of the
Diocese of Covington Cemetery System)
Regional Cemetery, Predominantly English-speaking (Irish) Catholics
Available at the Library: Online GenKY Database
History: In 1870, St. Mary Parish (the Cathedral Parish) purchased a 43 acre
plot of land on the Lexington Pike (Dixie Highway) for use as a parish
cemetery. Bishop Augustus Maria Toebbe blessed the cemetery on July
17, 1870. The property was purchased for $9,500.00. Immediately, steps
were taken to layout the lots and to beautify the grounds. Over the
next few decades, the cemetery was expanded in size.
Mary Cemetery was the first to enter the Diocese of Covington Cemetery
System. In addition, the cemetery is the resting-place for all the
deceased bishops of Covington (except for Bishop Ferdinand Brossart
who is buried at St. Anne Convent Cemetery in Melbourne, KY).
Stephen Cemetery, Fort Thomas
Location: 1523 Alexandria Pike, Ft. Thomas, Campbell CountyEstablished:
Owner: St. Stephen Parish, Newport (Since the 1960's, part of the Diocese
of Covington Cemetery System).
Available at the Library: KR 976.934 S153a
History: In the
late 1850s, St. Stephen Parish in Newport purchased 11 acres of land
on the Alexandria Pike in the current City of Ft. Thomas. The property
was cleared and set aside for cemetery purposes. Bishop George Aloysius
Carrell dedicated the cemetery on May 20, 1860.
these early years, the cemetery was primarily a burial place for the
parishioners of St. Stephen Parish. The purchase of additional property,
however, made the cemetery desirable for Catholics of other parishes.
1908, a stone chapel was constructed. The chapel was dedicated in
October 1908, by Bishop Camillus P. Maes. This chapel was removed
and replaced by a chapel/mausoleum in 2001.
a burial place for German Catholics, St. Stephen Cemetery is now the
largest Catholic cemetery in Campbell County.