West End
Family Theater

The Family Theater was established in c. 1916 and was located at 633 Main Street in Covington’s west end. The establishment was the largest and most popular theater on the west end.

The construction of new theaters in the suburbs in the post World War era resulted in lower ticket sales at the Family. By 1950, business was poor. The owners at this time were Ethel Shafer and Helen Schloman. The theater closed in the early 1950s. The Family Theater was sold to the Covington Revival Center in August 1956. This organization used the building for religious services.

Kentucky Post, August 2, 1999, p. 4k; Kentucky Times-Star, August 16, 1956, p. 1a; Covington City Directory 1916.

Print Friendly