West Covington
Kelly-Furnish Veterans of World War II Post 7099

10_vfwThe Kelly-Furnish Post of the Veterans of World War II was established in West Covington in the years following the war. The post was named after Michael Kelly and Edward Furnish, two Covington casualties from World War II.

Members of the post financed the construction of a permanent hall in 1956. The building was located on Reed Street in West Covington. The new building was dedicated in November 1956. The principal speaker at the event was Maj. Charles Stander of Ludlow. State Senator Carl Ruh also addressed the crowd. The Post Commander at the time of the dedication was Bud McAmis.

The post has supported community events in the neighborhood since its establishment. They also sponsored the West Covington Memorial Day parade for many years. The highlight of the parade was always the service at the war memorial in front of the firehouse at the corner of Parkway Avenue and Altamont Road.

Although fewer in number, the Kelly-Furnish Post continued to be an active force in the neighborhood.

Kentucky Times-Star, November 12, 1956, p. 1; News Enterprise, May 23, 1957, p. 1.

Print Friendly