“Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still.” – Dorthea Lange.
Photography is a hobby of many, whether you have the newest DLSR camera on the market or just your smartphone, you hold a tool that can offer a whole different perspective of an object or scene. The library offers many services, classes, books and resources to support your love of photography. So whether you are a beginner or advanced, visit our branches to utilize some of these great resources!
Just a small selection of the photography books available for checkout:
- It’s what I do: a photographer’s life of love and war — by: Lynsey Addario
- GoPro cameras for dummies — by: John Carucci
- The Ansel Adams Wilderness — by: Peter Essick
- Digital SLR cameras & photography for dummies — by: David D. Busch
- How to photograph everything: simple techniques for shooting spectacular images — from the editors of popular photography
- Digital SLR photography all-in-one for dummies — by: Robert Correll
- The Beginners photography guide — by: Chris Gatcum
- Start your own photography business: studio, freelance, gallery, events — by: Charlene Davis
- Photographing families: tips for capturing timeless images — by: Michele Celentano
- Digital Photography — by: Shawn Frederick
Just a small selection of the photography Ebooks available for checkout:
- Digital Photography FAQS — by: Jeff Wignall
- Clever Digital Photography Ideas Using your Camera Out and About — by: Peter Cope
- Travel Photography In a Day for Dummies — by: Serge Timacheff
- The Everything Digital Photography Book — by: Ric deGaris Doble
- The Art of iPhone Photography — by: Bob Weil
- Clever Digital Photography Starting to make the most of your camera — by: Peter Cope
- 100 Ways to Make Good Photos Great — by: Peter Cope
- The Design Aglow Posing Guide — by: Lena Hyde
- Gordon Parks — by: Carole Boston Weatherford
- Your Child in Pictures — by: Me Ra Koh
Upcoming Independence (DURR) Photography Classes:
The library also offers FREE photography related programs at our Durr (Independence) and the Erlanger branch. Registration is required for each program unless otherwise noted.
- Photography Gallery, Friday, May 22nd from 1-8:30pm. Join digital photography artists from the W.E. Durr Branch Photography Workshop for a Gallery Open House. Art will be on display in the Meeting Room beginning at 1:00 with an Open House from 5-8:30pm with refreshments.
- Vacation Photo’s, June 2nd at 6:30 pm. Learn how to download your vacation photos from your digital camera. We will be exploring SnapFish, Shutterfly, Flickr, Picasa and many more. Learn how to get your pictures organized, and printed so that you can enjoy them this summer.
- To Camera or Not Camera, June 9th at 6:30 pm. In this class we will discuss using the camera on your phone, or taking along your digital camera?
- Photography Workshop, June 26th at 6:30 pm. Learn and practice digital photography techniques in this moderated workshop. No two sunsets are ever alike! Lets talk about ways to create surreal images of sunsets that make your landscapes stand out. NOTE: This is an intermediate digital photography class. Students should already be familiar with their camera and the basic settings. Please bring your camera, manual, extra batteries and tripod.
Upcoming Erlanger Photography Classes:
- DigiCart Open Hours, May 21st at 5pm. Join us for open DigiCart hours! Use our Macbooks preloaded with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.) to work on projects and more! A technology specialist will be on hand to assist you at anytime. *No registration is required. For more information visit: The DigiCart page!
- Nature Photography, May 26th at 6pm. Join us outdoors (weather permitting) to learn all about taking photographs of natural elements such as landscapes, wildlife, plants and more! We will discuss using natural lighting, photographing and basic editing. Bring your camera.
- Evolve with Photography Part 1, June 10th at 6pm. Join us for the first part of our four part “Evolve with Photography” series. In this class we will be discussing DSLR basics, including important terms, techniques and editing! Please bring your DSLR camera.
- Intro to Adobe Photoshop, June 11th at 6pm. Learn the basics of this popular software used for editing photographs.
- Intermediate Adobe Photoshop, June 25th at 6pm. Learn how to manage multiple layers, retouch color, use filters and more. Prerequisite: Intro to Adobe Photoshop
- Open Photography Studio, June 29th at 5pm. Drop by our open photography studio to work on your photography projects. There will be a lighting setup, backdrops to use and Macbooks preloaded with Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom to use. Bring your camera. *No registration is required
*If you have any questions about photography programs at Erlanger or are interested in subscribing to the Erlanger Library Photographers newsletter, please email Maura Lambert: email@example.com
*If you have any questions about photography programs at DURR please email Katie Conley: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gale Courses Database
Did you know the library subscribes to the Gale Courses database? Gale Courses database offers a wide range of highly interactive, instructor led courses that you can take entirely online. As a library cardholder, you are entitled to these courses at no cost. Courses run for six weeks and new sessions begin every month.
Photography Courses offered through Gale:
Mastering Your Digital SLR Camera
Secrets of Better Photography
Discover Digital Photography
Photographing Nature with Your Digital Camera
Photographing People with Your Digital Camera
Photoshop Elements 13 for the Digital Photographer
Travel Photography for the Digital Photographer
Introduction to Lightroom 5
How to Access Gale Courses:
1.) Visit www.kentonlibrary.org/research-learning
2.) Under the heading “Test Prep, Software Tutorials & Interactive Classes” – Click on Gale Courses
3.) You will be redirected to the home page of Gale Courses where you can view instructions on how to create an account and enroll!
4.) You can find the photography classes on the left hand side – under Design and Composition.