With the start of a new year, the Local History and Genealogy department has updated our GenKY databases with several new collections, along with new accessions to our special collections and archival holdings.
New collections to GenKY are the Droege Real Estate Records and the Simon Kentonian, the school newsletter of Simon Kenton High School. The Droege Real Estate Records are comprised of materials from William Droege Sander, owner of the Bill Sander Construction company. The two properties, both of which are located on Greenup Street, are still standing. Mortgages, bills, correspondence, and other printed materials are featured in the collection.
The Simon Kentonian newsletter collection covers the student activities of Simon Kenton High School between the years of 1970 to 1972. The newsletters are a great look inside to the popular culture, attitudes, and day to day life of students during that time.
The department has also acquired several new archival collections. The Senior Services of Northern Kentucky Records Collection (KCPL 58) is comprised of photographs, slides, scrapbooks, videotapes and more pertaining to the history of the organization which was started in 1962 by volunteers from the United Way and Trinity Church. The group offered programs, nutrition, transportation, and a variety of other services to seniors in the northern Kentucky area. The group ended operations in 2018. The Alice Taylor Hoffman (1908-1992) collection (KCPL 54) consists of materials created while Ms. Hoffman was living in Ft. Thomas, KY and includes a scrapbook of pictures, documents and her journal from 1935-36 written about a Caribbean cruise she attended with her mother.
The department will also be digitizing two collections on temporary loan, the Robert McGrane collection and the St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church collection. The McGrane collection focuses on materials pertaining to the Hargraves, Cole, and Bannister families of Covington. All three families were well-known in the African-American community, particularly Annie Hargraves whom is the namesake of the park at W Robbins St &, Chesapeake St. Photographs from the Robert McGrane collection are available online in our Faces and Places database. The St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church, located at 120 Lynn St, was founded in 1869 by Martha Ann Taylor, a Covington resident that invited friends and neighbors into her home for weekly religious services and Sunday school. Several locations were used for worship until the congregation was able to purchase the parish on 120 Lynn Street. The collection was loaned to the department as the building on Lynn Street was facing continual structural damage and the church was seeking out a good place to keep important documents and photos while a new parish was found. The collection is comprised of photographs, ledgers, family bibles, baptism records, print materials, and oversized items.