A noted illustrator and painter of the American west and long-time resident of Covington. Henry Farny was born on July 15, 1847 in Ribeauville, Alsace, France to Charles and Jeanette Farny. The family immigrated to the United States in 1853 as a result of political strife in France. From 1852-1859, the Farny family resided in Warren, Pennsylvania. While in Pennsylvania, a young Henry came into contact with the Seneca Indian Tribe. Farny’s fascination with these Native Americans would become a life-long obsession. In 1859, the Farny's moved to Cincinnati. Henry attended Woodward High School until the death of his father in 1861. Henry Farny held several early jobs. At the age of 18 he began producing illustrations of the City of Cincinnati for Harper’s Weekly. Farny also had worked as an apprentice in a lithographic shop in Cincinnati. In 1866, Farny decided to fully pursue a career in art. In that year, he traveled to Europe, visiting Rome, Dusseldorf, Vienna and Munich. He remained on the continent for more than three years, viewing and studying some of the greatest artworks ever produced. Farny resumed his illustrating career upon his return to Cincinnati. He produced works for many of the popular periodicals of the day. In 1879 he was chosen the chief illustrator of the McGuffey Reader Series. Of the 300 illustrations produced, 76 were original works of Farny. During the 1880s, Henry Farny began a painting career that would last for more than three decades. Native American culture and history were gaining popularity in the early 1880s. Much of this can be attributed to the surrender of Sitting Bull to the United States Government in 1881. The news articles concerning Sitting Bull brought back many [...]
Charles H. Fisk was born on August 31, 1843 at Fiskburg, Kenton County. He attended Miami University and graduated valedictorian of his class. During the Civil War, Fisk gathered a volunteer company called the squirrel hunters. Fisk acted as captain of this company. Fisk became a member of the Kentucky bar in 1865 and practiced law in the City of Lexington for one year. He then moved to Covington. In Covington, Fisk practiced law with his father, John F. Fisk. Charles H. Fisk was active in many organizations. He was secretary of the Covington and Cincinnati Bridge Company, a 33rd Degree Mason, President of the Kenton County Bar Association and Superintendent of the Sunday School at First Christian Church in Covington. Fisk died in October 1930. He was survived by his widow, Margaret, and two children. Funeral services were conducted at the First Christian Church of Covington with burial at Highland Cemetery in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky. Kentucky Post, October 20, 1930, p. 1.
When looking back on our favorite family memories and holidays, food is often a highlight. Nothing can be quite so nostalgic as Grandma’s cookies or Mom’s best soup. Here at the library, cookbooks are among our most circulated items. For those of you learning to cook or wanting to add some local flair to your home cooked meal, the Local History & Genealogy department has four shelves of cookbooks that you can check out, bring home, and test out. These range from local restaurants’ favorite recipes, to chefs who focus on modern Kentucky cuisine, to historic cookbooks written as early as the 1800s. In an effort to get to know this section of our collection better, I tried out three recipes from two different books and documented my progress. I decided to focus on dishes with earlier origins. With some of the recipes, or receipts as Lettice Bryan of The Kentucky Housewife (1839) calls them, it took a little creative reimagining in order to modernize the measurements and equipment to something I have in my kitchen. In other words, I opted to bake in a modern oven with set temperatures. I’m also a vegetarian – so, sorry to all you Squirrel Soup lovers, I stuck to finding something I could enjoy! Let’s get started: Baked Potatoes, from The Kentucky Housewife (1839) by Lettice Bryan This recipe is from one of our earliest cookbooks by the thorough Lettice Bryan. The collection contains thousands of recipes along with suggestions of accompanying dishes, for which meal a recipe works best, and other tidbits which give a wonderful glimpse of the time period. I chose this recipe because it is simple, contains few ingredients, but also takes a familiar [...]
William Fromandi was born on December 11, 1841 in Germany. He is best known in the Northern Kentucky area for operating a saloon in Lewisburg at the turn of the Twentieth Century. The saloon was located at the corner of Lewis and Worth Streets. Fromandi not only sold beer and liquor, but also served food. At this time, Lewisburg contained a number of breweries and slaughterhouses. Fromandi’s establishment served lunch to many of the workers in these establishments. Behind a tall wooden fence at the rear of the saloon building was located Fromandi’s zoo. In this enclosure, William Fromandi housed a number of animals, including: A bear, wolf, fox, four-foot alligator, weasel, snakes, raccoon, wildcat and a monkey. The zoo was a favorite place for the young people of Covington to visit. Residents of the neighborhood simply referred to Fromandi’s business as the “monkey house.” William Fromandi was married to Theresa Stauble Fromandi. The couple had one son, Theodor Fromandi. The family resided at 925 Worth Street. William Fromandi died on May 18, 1925 at the age of 84. Mass of Christian Burial was held at St. John Church in Lewisburg with burial at St. John Cemetery in Fort Mitchell. Fromandi’s saloon business was continued by John Zembrodt, his grandson. Zembrodt operated the Hillside café during the 1950s. Kentucky Death Certificate: William Fromandi 1925; Kentucky Times-Star, July 24, 1902, p. 3 and February 10, 1915, p. 14; Kentucky Post, May 18, 1925, p. 2; Geaslen, Chester, Strolling Along Memory Lane.
Former Kenton County Sheriff and court official. Samuel Furste was born on November 16, 1892 in Covington. He was educated in the Covington Public Schools. By 1906, Furste was working for the Henderson Lithography Company of Cincinnati. While at this company, Furste caught his arm in a press. The arm had to be amputated. Despite this disability, Furste attended a local business college where he learned stenography, shorthand, typewriting and bookkeeping. In 1913, Samuel Furste was appointed official court stenography for the Kenton County Court system. He held this position until 1929, when he became Kenton County Clerk. Furste retired as clerk in 1953. Furste’s retirement, however, was short lived. In 1957, he ran against Carl Ruh in the Democratic primary for Kenton County Sheriff. Furste defeated Ruh by 41 votes and easily defeated his Republican opponent in the general election. Samuel Furste was active in several benevolent and fraternal organizations. A few of these included: Covington Elks and Eagles, Covington Turners, Colonel Clay Lodge No. 159 Masons, Kishmee Grotto, St. John Orphan Society, the Crusader Club and the Standard Club. Furste died on February 4, 1959 at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Covington. He was survived by his wife, Hattie J. Furste. The couple resided at 1234 Lee Street in Covington. Funeral Services were held at Hugenberg & Glindmeyer Funeral Home in Covington. The Reverend Philip Wiggermann of St. Paul United Church of Christ Officiated. Carl Ruh was appointed to fill Furste’s un-expired term as Kenton County Sheriff. Kentucky Post, December 9, 1913, p. 5, August 17, 1914, p. 5, August 31, 1922, p. 1, February 4, 1959, p. 1, February 5, 1959, p. 1; Pictorial and Industrial Review of Northern Kentucky (1923), p. 15.
A noted Covington lawyer and Kenton County Attorney. Henry J. Gausepohl was born on December 20, 1845 in Covington. His parents were J. Bernard Gausepohl and Mary J. Hugenberg Gausepohl. Henry J. Gausepohl received his early education in Covington. He then attended St. Xavier College in Cincinnati. Following graduation from college, he worked as a clerk in a drug store. In 1865, he established a hat store on Pike Street in Covington. While operating this store, Gausepohl studied law at the Cincinnati Law School (1879-1881). He earned his law degree in May 1881 and accepted by the Covington Bar in that same year. For many years, Gausepohl successfully practiced law in Covington. He also served for a period of time as County Attorney of Kenton County. Gausepohl was also active in banking. He was a major stockholder of the Covington Farmers and Trader’s Bank. He was also the chief attorney for the following Covington building associations: Germania, Columbia and Grand Central Building Associations. Henry J. Gausepohl married Josephine Bohman on November 6, 1872. The couple had four children: Flora, Charles, Clara and May. The family resided at 2114 Oakland Avenue in Covington. Henry J. Gausepohl died on May 6, 1913 at the age of 67. He was survived by his widow and four children. The funeral Mass was celebrated at St. Benedict Church in Covington with burial at St. Mary Cemetery in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky. Battle, Perrin & Kniffin, Kentucky: A History of the State, 1887; Kentucky Death Certificate 1913; Kentucky Times-Star, May 7, 1913, p. 2.
Chester Francis Geaslen was born on February 21, 1896 in Cincinnati. His father, J.F. Geaslen, worked for the Stewart Iron Works in Covington. In 1902, the family moved to the south side of the river. During his early years, Geaslen was an accomplished athlete. He played semi-pro baseball in the Bluegrass League. His athletic career, however, was interrupted by the First World War. During the war, Geaslen served with the marines. He entered the service on June 8, 1917. He fought in the Battles of Verdun and Toulon. He was wounded on April 6, 1918. He reached the rank of corporal by the time of his discharge on June 5, 1919. Upon his return from the war, Geaslen began attending St. Xavier College in Cincinnati. In 1922, he found work with the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. While working for the railroad, he married Lucille Huber in 1928. The Great Depression brought his work at the railroad to a close. At that time he began working for the Kentucky Post as a circulation manager. During the Second World War, the need for experienced railroaders was great. Geaslen found work as an engineer. He retired from the railroad in 1966. During those years, Geaslen wrote a column for the Kentucky Post and later the Kentucky-Times Star called “Strolling Along Memory Lane.” The columns focused on Northern Kentucky history. Eventually, the columns were sold in book form (Volume I was published in 1972, Vol. III in 1974). Geaslen also wrote a book about Northern Kentucky’s role in the Civil War entitled, Our Moment of Glory in the Civil War (1972). He was a member of the Kentucky Historical Society and the Christopher Gist Historical Society | Chester Francis [...]
Pastor of Trinity Episcopal Church in Covington and Community booster. James D. Gibson was born in Middleway, West Virginia on October 12, 1883. His parents were the Reverend John S. Gibson and Alicia Davis Gibson. James D. Gibson earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of West Virginia and in 1908, graduated from the Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria, Virginia. He was ordained an Episcopal Priest in 1909. Gibson’s early assignments included: Rector of Christ Church in Wellsburg, West Virginia (1909-1911); Rector of St. Paul Church in Norfolk, Virginia (1911-1915); Assistant Pastor at the Church of the Redeemer in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania (1915-1917); and St. Stephen Church in Richmond, Virginia. In 1921, James D. Gibson was assigned Rector of Trinity Church in Covington in September 1921. The congregation purchased a rectory for the minister and his family at Fourth and Garrard Streets in Covington. Within a short period of time, however, a more modern rectory was purchased on Beechwood Road in neighboring Fort Mitchell. During his tenure, St. John Episcopal Church, 18th and Scott Streets, merged with Trinity in 1925. Reverend James D. Gibson was very active in Community activities in Northern Kentucky. He was president of the Northern Kentucky Motor Club and the Covington Rotary. He was also a member of the Indra Consistory Scottish Rite Masons (he achieved the 32nd degree). Reverend Gibson married Mary Ledbetter of Alexandria, Virginia on November 3, 1909. The couple had five children: John Gibson, Davis Gibson, Douglas Gibson, Philip Gibson and Janet Gibson. In February 1932, Reverend Gibson was taken to St. Elizabeth Hospital in Covington. He never recovered. Gibson died on March 5, 1932. He was 48 years of age. He was survived by [...]
Covington native and composer of music. James Haven Lamont Gillespie was born on February 6, 1888 in Covington to William F. and Anna Reilley Gillespie. The family lived in a basement on 3rd Street between Washington and Madison Avenue. Haven attended Third District Elementary School in Covington for six years before quitting to go to work. Gillespie was a printer with the Cincinnati Enquirer and Cincinnati Times-Star. In 1910, Gillespie married Corene Parker of Covington. The couple had one child, Haven Lamont Gillespie. The Gillespies lived at 509 Montgomery Street. The home, sometimes called the White Mansion, belonged to Corene Parker Gillespie’s parents. In 1911, Gillespie began writing songs as a hobby. The hobby quickly turned into a career. By the time of his death, Gillespie had written over 1,000 original compositions. Among his works included: Violet Blue (1912), Drifting and Dreaming (1925), Breezin’ Along with the Breeze (1926), I’m in Love with You Honey (1926), You Go to My Head (1937), Lucky Old Sun (1949), Old Master Painter (1949), God’s Country (1950), I Love to Dream (1972). His most famous, and profitable composition was Santa Claus is Coming to Town. The song was written in 1933 in a New York Subway on the back of an envelope. Santa Claus is Coming to Town debuted on Eddie Cantor’s Maxwell House Coffee Radio Show on October 27, 1933. Gillespie made over a million dollars in royalties alone on this composition. In 1950, Gillespie and his wife moved to Hollywood and later, Las Vegas. The move was not beneficial to Gillespie. The party atmosphere of the town led to Gillespie’s overindulgence with alcohol. Gillespie became an alcoholic. In 1958, Corene Parker Gillespie died. Following her death, Gillespie [...]
Christopher Gist was born in about 1706 in Maryland. He married Sarah Howard Gist. The couple produced five children. His parents were Richard Gist and Zipporah Murray Gist. Richard Gist surveyed much of western Maryland and was involved in platting the City of Baltimore. In 1750, Gist was hired by the Ohio Company of Virginia to survey 500,000 acres in the Ohio River Valley (Including what is today Covington). The survey was in preparation for the settlement of 100 families in the region and for the construction of a fort. At this time the territory was claimed by both the British and the French. Gist set out on his journey on October 31, 1750. Christopher Gist is the first documented European to set foot in what is today Northern Kentucky. His first stop in the area was at the confluence of the Ohio and Licking Rivers. He also stopped at Big Bone Lick in present day Boone County to obtain salt. He then began to travel down the Ohio toward the falls (present day Louisville). This part of the journey, however, was cut short by an encounter with the native American peoples who populated the area. Gist returned home in May 1751. Gist made two additional trips to Kentucky in the ensuing years. Christopher Gist died in 1759 from smallpox. Dictionary of American Biography; The Kentucky Post Times-Star, February 13, 1964, p. 4k.
Henry A. Hanses was born on October 28, 1896 in Detroit, Michigan to Henry and Baldwina Goebel Hanses. When Hanses was in grade school, the family moved to Augusta, Kentucky. Feeling a call to the priesthood, Hanses entered St. Mary Seminary in Baltimore, Maryland. He was ordained to the priesthood on June 14, 1919 at St. Mary’s Cathedral in Covington, Kentucky. Father Hanses held various assignments in the Diocese of Covington including: associate pastor of St. John Church, Covington 1919-1920; associate pastor of Mother of God Church, Covington 1920-1921; and a missionary in the Appalachian Mountains of eastern Kentucky from 1921-1945. During his stay in the Appalachians, Father Hanses grew to love the simple customs and traditions of the mountain people. He also cultivated a great love of the poor during this time of his life. Father Hanses was raised to the rank of Monsignor on August 30, 1950 in recognition of his many reasons of service to the Kentucky Mountain Missions. Monsignor Hanses was appointed associate pastor of St. John Church in Covington in 1945. The pastor at this time was his uncle, the Reverend Anton Goebel. In 1954, he succeeded his uncle as pastor of St. John. Hanses was a much beloved figure in both the parish and neighborhood. He always found ways to reach out to the poor and suffering of the community. He was known to have frequently emptied his pockets to help those in need. In 1971, Monsignor Hanses retired as pastor of St. John and again became associate pastor of the same parish. He completely retired in 1975. The Lewisburg park was named in honor of Monsignor Hanses’ many years of service to the neighborhood. Monsignor Henry Hanses died [...]
Walter H. Haupt was the long-time pastor of St. John Congregation Church in West Covington. Haupt was born on December 27, 1896. He served in the United States Army Signal Corps during World War I. Beginning in the 1930s, he worked as an engineer at the Kelley-Koett X-Ray Company in Covington. He retired from Kelley-Koett in1973. During the 1930s, he was very active at St. Peter's German Church in Cincinnati, where he occasionally preached. In 1938, St. John Congregational Church in West Covington was looking for a minister. The board approach Haupt and asked to him to preach and conduct services at their church for two consecutive weeks until a new minister could be found. The congregation was so impressed with Haupt, that they offered him a permanent position as pastor. He agreed, and remained in that position until his retirement in 1973. Walter Haupt was eventually ordained by the church. For many years Walter Haupt lived in Ludlow, Kentucky on Ludford Street. Later in life, he moved to the Kenton Hills neighborhood of Covington. He died on March 7, 1994. Funeral services were conducted at St. John Congregation Church. Haupt's wife, Lucille, proceeded him in death. He was survived by two sons: Conrad Haupt and Richard Haupt. Kentucky Post, March 9, 1994, p. 10A; Social Security Death Index.
The Fifth Bishop of the Diocese of Covington. Francis W. Howard was born on June 21, 1867 in Columbus, Ohio. He studied for the priesthood at Mount St. Mary Seminary of the West in Cincinnati, Ohio. And was ordained by Bishop John Watterson on June 16, 1891 at St. Joseph Cathedral in Columbus. In 1901, Father Howard organized the first Columbus Diocesan School Board. In the following year, he participated in the establishment of the National Catholic Education Association (NCEA). For the next 42 years, Father Howard held offices in the NCEA including: Secretary General 1903-1928, President 1928-1936 and as a member of the Advisory Board from 1936 through 1944. On March 26, 1944, Father Howard was appointed Bishop of Covington to replace the ill Bishop Ferdinand Brossart. The consecration took place on July 15, 1923 at St. Mary Cathedral in Covington. The consecrating bishop was Archbishop Henry Moeller of Cincinnati. During his years in Covington, Bishop Howard worked enthusiastically to improve and expand the Catholic school system of the diocese. He oversaw the establishment of Covington Catholic High School, Covington Latin High School, Lexington Latin High School and Newport Catholic High School. Bishop Howard also made Villa Madonna College (now Thomas More College) a diocesan institution. Bishop Howard died on January 18, 1944. He was buried at St. Mary Cemetery in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky. Archives of the Diocese of Covington.
Ulie J. Howard was born on June 22, 1874 in Ghent, Carroll County, Kentucky. His parents were John Howard (died January December 28, 1904) and Mary E. Scott Howard (died November 28, 1900). Ulie J. Howard received his early education in Carroll County Public Schools. He then attended the Ghent College and began studying law in the Carrollton office of Judge J.A. Donaldson. In 1894, he began attending Centre Law School in Danville, Kentucky. Ulie J. Howard passed the bar in 1895 and began practicing law in the growing City of Covington, Kentucky. In 1901 he joined in a partnership with attorney Harvey J. Myers The Firm of Myers & Howard became one of the most prominent in Northern Kentucky. Howard remained in this partnership until the death of Harvey Myers in 1933. At that time, Howard established a firm with his son. His offices were in the Coppin Building at the northeast corner of Madison and 7th Street. Howard married Carrie Brent Alexander, a native of Paris, Kentucky, on April 21, 1897. The couple had one child, Charlton Howard, who was born on December 23, 1900. The couple lived at 312 E. Second Street in Covington. In 1917, Carrie Howard died. Ulie J. Howard’s second wife was Aileen Brown. In 1922, Howard moved to the growing suburb of Fort Mitchell, south of Covington. Ulie J. Howard was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Covington. He was also active in the Kenton County Bar Association, was the president of the Kenton County Home Society, served on the Covington Parks Board and was a member of the Covington Masons, Elks and Eagles. In addition, Howard was a charter member and first secretary of the [...]
A benefactor of the arts and community activist in Covington. Margaretta Baker was born on June 25, 1845 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Her parents were John W. Baker and Henrietta Adams Baker. John W. Baker owned a lamp and candle store in Cincinnati. In the summer of 1854, the Baker family moved to Covington. They purchased a large home at 620 Greenup Street. Margaretta Baker continued, however, to attend school in Cincinnati. Margaretta Baker married Dr. William Hunt of Covington on April 30, 1872 in Trinity Episcopal Church. Dr. William Hunt had studied at Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia. The couple had one child, Katie, born on January 14, 1873. Katie Hunt died on spinal meningitis on January 14, 1888 – her 15th birthday. In that same year, John and Margaretta Hunt purchased a stained glass window in the memory of their daughter and had it placed in the transept of Trinity Church. They also financed the construction of a bell tower for the congregation in memory of their daughter. Dr. John Hunt died on May 20, 1893, leaving Margaretta a widow. She continued to live in the home at 620 Greenup with her beloved niece, Kate Scudder. These two women soon turned their attentions toward community activities. They opened their home as meeting place for many cultural groups in the Covington area. The women also allowed the spacious grounds around their home to be used for organized activities for the children of the neighborhood. In the spring of 1922, Margaretta Hunt set up a foundation to be known as the “Baker Hunt Foundation.” The main work of the foundation was to promote the study of art, education and science and to promote the good works [...]
An early African American physician in Covington. Adam Kelley was born in Carthage, North Carolina on July 16, 1860 to John Kelly and Julia Miller Kelly. He was enrolled in the public schools of Carthage in 1870 and remained until 1880. In that year he entered Bennett College in Greensboro, North Carolina. He graduated from Bennett in 1892 and then began studying medicine at Meharry College in Nashville, Tennessee. He graduated from Meharry in 1896. He financed his education by working in the various northern resorts during the summer months. In June 1898, Kelly married Mary E. Wendell of Nashville Tennessee. This marriage produced eight children. Kelly first appears in the 1898-1899 Covington City Directory. At that time, he worked and resided at 56 E. 3rd Street. By 1900, he moved to 516 Scott Blvd. In 1919, Adam D. Kelly and his youngest son Garland were shot in their home while sleeping. Garland, age 4, died from the wounds. The assailant left the firearm that was used in the attack. The assailant, however, was not found or brought to justice. Kelly was active in civic affairs in Covington. He was a member of the Odd Fellows, Eastern Star, Knights of Pythias, the Elks, the United Brothers of Friendship and a 33rd Degree Mason. Adam D. Kelly died on February 26, 1934 at the age of 73. He was survived by his widow, Mary E. Kelly. Other survivors included his sons, Adam D. Kelly Jr., Eichler Kelly and Coleman Kelly. Funeral services were conducted at the Ninth Street M.E. Church with burial at Linden Grove Cemetery. Kentucky Death Certificate 1934; Linden Grove Cemetery Records; Kentucky Post, July 23, 1919 and p. 1 July 24, 1919, p. [...]
Kenton County Circuit Court Clerk and Covington City Cashier. William Macke was born on June 16, 1881 in Covington. His Father was Ben Macke, Kenton County Circuit Court Clerk. William Macke was educated in the parochial schools of Covington. Prior to entering political life, Macke worked for the Licking Rolling Mill Company as a bookkeeper. He married Anna Albers and was the father of two children: Margaret M. Macke Williams and Joseph Macke. Macke was an active member of the Democratic Party. In 1912, he was elected president of the Liberal Democratic Club of Kenton County. He would remain active in the party until his death. On October 2, 1911, William Macke was appointed Kenton County Circuit Court Clerk to fill the un-expired term of his father. He held this position until 1916, when he was appointed Cashier for the City of Covington. In 1921, Macke was again elected to the post of Kenton County Circuit Court Clerk. He retired as clerk in 1932. Macke also was the owner of the Abhepbett & Macke Surgical Instrument Company of Covington. In 1925, the Macke Family moved into a new Colonial Revival home in Park Hills, Kentucky (Jackson Road). The home was built at the cost of $16,000. William Macke died on January 9, 1955 at his home at 227 W. Orchard Street in South Fort Mitchell, Kentucky. He was survived by his widow and two children. Mss of Christian Burial was held at Blessed Sacrament Church in South Fort Mitchell with burial at Mother of God Cemetery in Covington. Kentucky Post, September 27, 1911, p. 2, January 29, 1912, p. 8, June 22, 1922, p. 1, November 1, 1925 and January 10, 1955, p. 1.; Pictorial [...]
A noted attorney and Covington City Councilman. William H. Mackoy was born in Covington on November 20, 1839. His parents were John and Elizabeth G. Hardia Mackoy. He married Margaret Chamber Brent of Paris, Kentucky in 1868. Following his admission to the bar, Mackoy joined the law firm of Mackoy & Mackoy of Cincinnati. He was a founding member of the Kenton County Bar Association, the Kentucky State Bar Association and the Cincinnati Bar Association. William H. Mackoy served on the Covington City Council from 1882 to 1889. He was a member of the Law Committee of Council and helped produce the draft of the amendment that created the Covington Reservoir in Fort Thomas, Kentucky. William H. Mackoy died on September 14, 1923 in Lexington. He had moved to that city in 1920. He was survived by his widow and two children: Harry Mackoy and Mrs. Edmund Jillson. Funeral services were conducted at the home of Harry Mackoy by the Reverend Charles G. McGinley, Pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Covington. Kentucky Death Certificate 1923; Kentucky Post, September 14, 1923, p. 1 and 10.
The Aquacycle was covered in a 1949 issue of Popular Science. Via: http://goo.gl/X3nseR Twenty-five year old Phyllis Brawley was installed as a living window display at Cincinnati’s Hotel Sinton on the day of Aquacycle’s debut. Clad in a “beach costume,” the blonde model peddled the newly-patented marine invention that allowed users to propel boats and canoes by foot power. Spectators congregated around the window in such numbers that Cincinnati patrolman, Charles Ray, ordered that the live window display to cease--a proclamation that was met with jeers. Ultimately, the authorities demanded that manager of the Aquacycle Company, Earl Metcalfe, either stop the demonstration or be cited for interfering with pedestrian traffic. Metcalfe, a self-employed business consultant and manager of the Aquacycle Company of Covington, stated that he intended to defy police orders to meet public demand for the demonstration continue the next day. Arguably, their interest was likely inspired more by the visible shins and shoulders of Miss Brawley than the newfangled contraption upon which she was perched. Metcalfe, who lived on a farm in Morning View in southern Kenton County, was not the inventor of the Aquacycle, but was assignor to the company when the trademark was registered in 1948. He was involved with the contraption as early as 1947, when the Aquacycle Company of Covington was chartered and valued at an eyebrow-raising $100,000 (over $1,300,000 today). The design for the “pedal or mechanically propelling and steering mechanism for boats” was the work of Dr. Byrel Billman, a physician of physiotherapy and proctology, educated at the Eclectic Medical Institute of Cincinnati. Billman created the Aquacycle as a device to propel and steer boats in places where motorized watercraft were either outlawed or impossible operate. Sportsmen [...]
The third Bishop of the Diocese of Covington. A native of Coutrai, West Flanders, Belgium, Camilius P. Maes was born on March 13, 1846. While studying in a Belgian Seminary, Maes decided to dedicate himself to the American missions. He was ordained on December 19, 1868 in Belgium. Father Maes was sent to the United States following ordination. He arrived in this country on May 9, 1869 and began working in the Diocese of Detroit. While serving in Detroit, Father Maes wrote a biography of the Reverend Charles Nerinckx, a pioneer priest of Kentucky and co-founder of the Sisters of Loretto at the Foot of the Cross in Marion County, Kentucky. In 1880, Father Maes was appointed Chancellor of the Detroit Diocese. Maes was officially appointed Bishop of Covington on October 1, 1884, the first diocesan priest to in Detroit to be elevated to that rank. Archbishop William Elder of Cincinnati presided over the consecration on January 25, 1885 at St. Mary Cathedral in Covington. During his long tenure in Covington, Bishop Maes was responsible for expanding the Church in the Appalachian Region of the diocese, erecting the Cathedral basilica of the Assumption and establishing the Sisters of Divine Providence in the diocese. Bishop Maes died on May 11, 1915. His earthly remains were laid to rest at St. Mary Cemetery in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky. Diocese of Covington Archives.
A Covington native and noted motion picture and stage actress. Una Merkel was born on December 10, 1903 in Covington. Her parents were Arno E. Merkel Jr. and Elizabeth Phares Merkel. The couple was married in Covington on December 31, 1902. Una attended Covington’s First and Sixth District Schools. The family home was located at the corner of Fourth and Greenup Streets (demolished in 1976). Una lived in Covington until her early teens. She attended dramatic school in New York City. Merkel began her acting career in 1920 in silent films. She worked consistently throughout the 1930s in both leading and supporting roles. During the 1940s, her motion picture career took a downtown. At this time, she turned her attention to the stage. In 1956, she received a Tony Award for her work on the play, The Ponder Heart. Merkel returned to motion pictures in the late 1950s. She received an Oscar nomination (best supporting actress) for her work in Summer and Smoke. During the Second World War, Merkel toured with the USO. One of her partners on these tours was Gary Cooper. They traveled 23,000 miles in six weeks throughout the South Pacific entertaining the troops. Una married Donald Burla, an aircraft executive, in 1932. They were divorced in 1945. Una Merkel performed in the following motion pictures: Way Down East (1920), White Rose (1923), Fifth Horseman (1924), Abraham Lincoln (1930), The Bat Whisperers (1930), The Eyes of the World (1930), The Maltese Falcon (1931), Command Performance (1931), Don’t Bet on Women (1931), Six Cylinder Love (1931), Daddy Long Legs (1931), The Bargain (1931), wicked (1931), Private Lives (1931), Secret Witness (1931), She Wanted a Millionaire (1932), Impatient Maiden (1932), Man Wanted (1932), Huddle [...]
A long-time resident of Latonia and author of many books and articles. Anna C. Minogue was born in 1874 in Carlisle, Kentucky, to John Minogue and Jane Degnan, both natives of Ireland. The family eventually moved to Covington, where they lived at 3520 Myrtle Avenue. She had one sibling, Theresa Minogue. Anna Minogue was educated at Nazareth College in Nazareth, Kentucky. She worked her entire adult life as a journalist. She was employed by the Cincinnati Catholic Telegraph, a newspaper published by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. She was a gifted writer who produced a number of fictional and historical works. Among her efforts included: As the Stream Flows, A son of Adam, Cardome: A Romance of Kentucky (1905), Borrowed from the Night, The Blind Priest, Their Long Inheritance, Silas Gray, Waters of Contradiction, Story of Santa Maria Institute (1922), Loretto: Annals of the Century (1912) and Pages From One Hundred Years of Dominican History: The Story of the Congregation of St. Catherine of Sienna (1922). A number of her works also appeared in the America, Catholic World, and Ave Maria. Anna C. Minogue died on December 24, 1958 at St. Elizabeth Hospital in Covington. Funeral services were conducted at Holy Cross Church in Covington with burial at Carlisile, Kentucky. She was survived by nine cousins. Guide to Catholic Literature 1888-1940; American Catholic Who’s Who 1940-1941; Kentucky Post, December 27, 1958, p. 8.
Long time mayor of West Covington and proponent of the city's annexation to Covington. Joseph J. Moser was born on March 17, 1861 in Pennsylvania. His parents were Gottlieb Moser and Marie Schwartz Moser. Joseph J. Moser was a strong advocate for the annexation of West Covington by Covington. In 1908 he called for all the cities of Kenton County to be annexed by Covington. He argued that all the citizens would be better served in they lived in one city. The issue of gambling caused considerable political problems for Mayor Moser. In 1906, Covington city officials began a crackdown on poolrooms and other gambling establishments. A few of these individuals left Covington and set up shop in Romanowitz Hall in West Covington. The Reverend John Bentz of the Crescent Avenue Methodist Mission requested that the mayor take immediate action to stop the gambling activities. Mayor Moser refused to take action. The Reverend Betz filed charges against the mayor for failure to do his duty. A warrant for Moser's arrest was issued. When Mayor Moser appeared before the courts, Reverend Betz voiced his concerns, "I know that Mr. Moser could be bought, and that he had been bought by the parties operating the poolroom in West Covington." Mayor Moser responded by filing a suit against the minister for damaging his reputation in the community. Gambling continued to be a problem for Moser in 1907. The Kentucky Post ran a story calling West Covington the "Monte Carlo" of Kentucky. Poker, betting and roulette were commonplace. The establishments included Romanowitz Hall and the Respess-Kirby Poolroom. The story also claimed that another group was building a new building in the town that would be used for gambling purposes. [...]
The sixth Bishop of Covington. Born on November 9, 1892 in Ardoch, North Dakota, William T. Mulloy was the first of five children born to William James Mulloy and Margaret Ann Doyle Mulloy. William T. Mulloy studied for the priesthood at St. Paul Seminary in St. Paul, Minnesota. He was ordained by Bishop James Riley of Fargo, North Dakota on June 7, 1916 at his home Parish of St. John the Evangelist in the City of Grafton. As a young priest, Father Mulloy held various posts in the Diocese of Fargo, including: Rector of the Cathedral Parish, Rural Life director, superintendent of education and editor of the diocesan newspaper. Father Mulloy was chosen as president of the National Rural Life Conference in 1934. On November 11, 1944, Father Mulloy was appointed Bishop of Covington to succeed Bishop Francis Howard. He was consecrated by Bishop Aloysius Muench on January 10, 1945 at St. Mary Cathedral in Fargo. Installation ceremonies took place on January 24, 1945 at St. Mary Cathedral in Covington. During his tenure, many new parishes and schools were established in the suburbs of northern Kentucky. Mulloy also established St. Pius X Seminary and Marydale Retreat Center and Camp, all in Erlanger. In 1954, the Cathedral was elevated to the status of a minor basilica by the pope. After fifteen years of dedicated service, Bishop Mulloy died on June 1, 1959 in Covington. He was laid to rest at St. Mary Cemetery in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky. Archives of the Diocese of Covington.
Long-time President of Villa Madonna-Thomas More College in Northern Kentucky and religious and civil rights leader. John F. Murphy was born on February 25, 1923 in Lexington, Kentucky. He received his elementary and secondary education at St. Catherine Academy in that same city. Following high school, Murphy decided to explore a vocation to the priesthood. He earned a bachelors degree in 1946 from St. Meinrad College in St. Meinrad, Indiana and a Licentiate in Theology in 1947. Murphy was ordained to the priesthood in 1947 by Bishop William T. Mulloy at St. Peter Church in Lexington. In time, Father Murphy earned a doctorate from the Catholic University of America in Washington D.C. In 1948, he was appointed to the faculty of Villa Madonna College in Covington. Only three years later, Murphy was named the Dean of the college. In 1953, he was appointed President of Vila Madonna College. He was one of the youngest college presidents in the country at that time. Msgr. Murphy expanded course offerings and the number of departments. He also oversaw the expansion of the number of faculty and staff at Villa Madonna. Murphy was also responsible for the creation of a Board of Oversees at the college. This Board of Overseers eventually evolved into a modern function Board of Trustees with membership drown from the clergy, women religious and laity. His greatest achievement, however, was the construction of a new college campus in the suburban City of Crestview Hills in 1967-1968. President Lyndon Baines Johnson was present for the dedication of the new campus. It was also during the tenure of Msgr. Murphy that the college changed its name from Villa Madonna to Thomas More College. During the late 1960s, [...]