Schrage, Bernard “Pop”
Long-time resident of Ludlow and proprietor of Schrage Hardware. Schrage and his wife Magdelan purchased the hardware store of Joe Gerwe at 241 Elm Street in Ludlow in 1920. In 1934 the store moved to 242 Elm Street where it remained until 1938, when a new location was found on Ash Street. A year and a half later, the store moved to the northwest corner of Elm and Kenner Streets (previously known as the Woolford building). Schrage operated the hardware store from this location until his retirement in 1963. His daughter, Marcella Schrage, built a new Schrage Hardware Store at 648 Elm Street near the new post office in 1964.
Bernard Schrage resided at 65 Kenner Street. He was a member of St. James Church in Ludlow and the parish Holy Name Society. Schrage also was a member of the Kehoe Council Knights of Columbus, the Ludlow Rotary Club and the Ludlow Businessmen’s Association.
Schrage was known in Ludlow as ‘Pop.’ He received this nickname during World War II. Schrage sent copies of the News Enterprise, cards and gifts to many of Ludlow’s serviceman. The servicemen were so touched by his generosity that they began referring to him as ‘Pop,’ a title Schrage cherished.
Bernard Schrage died on April 4, 1971 at St. Charles Nursing Home in Covington, he was 83 years old. Mass of Christian burial was held at St. James Church, Ludlow with burial at Mother of God Cemetery in Covington. He was survived by six children: Marcella Schrage, Delores Pieschel, Virginia Cleary, Richard Schrage, Bernard W. (Bud), and James Schrage.
News Enterprise, August 20, 1964, p. 1, November 19, 1970, p. 1,November 26, 1970, p. 4 and April 8, 1971, p. 1.