Ludlow-Bromley Swim Club
The Ludlow-Bromley Swim Club was organized in 1959. The first officers were: Louis “Duke” Bodkin (president), Mike Cross (first vice president), Robert Reeves (second vice president), Ronald B. Jones (secretary), and Wilfred Bullock (treasurer).
The club built a swimming pool in 1959 on a 5-½ acre parcel of property near the intersection of Sleepy Hallow Road and Adela Avenue. The original entrance to the club was from Sleepy Hollow Road. Architect William R. Roeding designed the complex. The issuing of bonds to 500 charter members financed the $125,000.00 cost. Members were required to purchase four bonds at $50.00 each.
The club purchased adjacent property in 1966. In time, a new driveway was constructed from the parking lot to the foot of Stokesay Street to replace the dangerous Sleepy Hollow entrance.
News Enterprise, August 20, 1959, p. 1, September 8, 1966, p. 8.