Saint John Episcopal
The Episcopalians living in the central and southern neighborhoods of Covington attended Trinity Church on Madison Avenue. In 1890, the old Longworth Estate at the northeast corner of Scott and 18th Streets was purchased as a site for a new Episcopal congregation under the patronage of St. John. In July of that same year, the architectural firm of Crapsey and Brown was given the commission to design a church building. Their design called for a frame and shingle structure with a small tower and Gothic Style windows. Trinity Church donated nine double stained glass window and one triple chancel window for the new edifice. Eighty-five members made up the initial congregation. Most were former members of Trinity Church. The first service was conducted on December 26, 1890. The congregation was cared for by the pastor and associate pastor of Trinity.
On January 30, 1894, St. John Church became an independent parish. The congregation, however, grew very slowly. Old attachments to Trinity Church kept many people from joining St. John. In 1925, the Episcopal Bishop asked Trinity Church and St. John Church to merge. A committee was appointed to discuss the proposal on January 5, 1925. Seven days later, the committee agreed to the merger. The St. John Church building was sold to the Salvation Army on January 24, 1929 for $17,000. Today, the building is home to St. Luke Methodist Church. The original shingle and frame construction has been covered with a stone facing.
George Roth, Trinity Episcopal Church, Covington, Kentucky.