Ida Spence Methodist United Church
In 1957, the Ida Spence Community Methodist Church was established in the Ida Spence Public Housing complex (later City Heights) in the Peaselburg Neighborhood of Covington. The founding pastor was the Rev. Oyer C. Morgan. Eventually, the congregation constructed a church building on the hill on property that was purchased from the City of Covington.
In 1993, the Methodist congregations in Northern Kentucky in cooperation with the Ida Spence Methodist Church began a fundraising drive to establish a clinic at City Heights. The clinic was a project conceived by the pastor of the Ida Spence Methodist Church, the Rev. Annie Allen. Plans called for a 52’ x 40’ addition to the church to house the clinic. The fund drive raised $83,000 from 41 United Methodist Churches in the region. The clinic officially opened in April 1995 and was staffed by volunteer doctors and a dentist.
Kentucky Post, January 4, 1957, p. 3A, March 20, 1993, p. 1K, April 22, 1993, p. 3K, April 5, 1995, p. 8A and April 8, 1995, p. 4K.