1. KCPL telescopes may only be checked out to KCPL patrons who are 18 years old or older and who have an active account in good standing.
a. Telescopes are not able to be loaned on adult limited accounts.
2. Patron must sign a Telescope Borrowing Agreement each time the telescope is checked out and they will receive a receipt upon return.
a. Telescope and accompanying bag of accessories must be returned inside the building to a member of the staff. Staff will verify contents and condition and issue the receipt at that time.
3. KCPL telescopes circulate for 14 days. They may be renewed once, provided there is not a waiting list.
4. One telescope per account is the maximum that may be borrowed at a time.
5. The overdue fine for the telescope is $5.00 per day. This fine accrues to a maximum of $25 and the item will be considered LOST after it is more than 10 days overdue.
6. I understand that I may be charged the full $300 replacement cost in the event that the telescope is LOST or Damaged beyond repair:
a. If the telescope is returned damaged, the patron will be charged a fee based on the cost of repairs. That cost may not be initially known but will not exceed the full replacement cost.
7. I agree to abide by the proper care and use guidelines for the telescope as described in the provided Instruction Manual and to secure the telescope during transport.
8. I understand and assume responsibility for all items included with the telescope and which are indicated below and verified prior to lending. I understand that my account will be charged the replacement cost for any items that are missing or damaged.
9. I understand and agree to never look directly at the sun through the telescope or its finder scope, nor to point the telescope directly at the sun, even for a moment. PERMANENT EYE DAMAGE COULD RESULT. Signing borrowing agreement affirms patron understanding of this danger.
10. I agree to not leave the telescope sitting in direct sunlight for long periods of time and understand that even pointing the telescope at the sun could result in telescope parts melting, which would be damage that I am responsible for.
11. The Kenton County Public Library will not be held liable for any injuries incurred as a result of telescope use.
12. Any situation not covered by this policy will be reviewed and acted upon by the Library Board of Trustees at its sole discretion.
The Telescope Lending Program is made possible by a generous donation from the Friends of the Kenton County Public Library.
Inventory of Items Included with Telescope (with replacement charges per piece)
Piece 1 – Orion Sky Quest XT4.5 Dobsonian Relfector Telescope ($250)
Piece 2 – Orion Moon Map 260 ($12.99)
Piece 3 – Orion Star Target Constellation and Celestial Object Finder ($11.99)
Piece 4 – Instruction Manual for Sky Quest XT4.5
Piece 5 – Orion Telescope Observer’s Guide: 60 easy celestial objects for Beginners ($19.99)
Piece 6 – Orion 13% Moon Filter 1.25” (reduces glare for improved visibility of lunar detail and surface features. Filter threads directly into the barrel of either the 10mm or 25mm eyepiece) ($19.99)
Piece 7 – Shorty 2x Barlow Lens (doubles the power of any 1.25” eyepiece) ($39.99)
Piece 8 – 10 mm eyepiece – 1.25″ Sirius Plossl (91x power for close up views) ($33.99)
Piece 9 – 25 mm eyepiece – 1.25″ Sirius Plossl (36x power for wider field views) ($33.99)
Piece 10 – RedBeam mini LED flashlight (best lighting option for reading charts, guides and finding way around the telescope at night) ($14.99)