The Kenton County Public Library uses social media in many forms. KCPL staff maintains and edits the content of KCPL social media sites to comply with library policies. Library social media is intended to create a welcoming online space where library users will find useful and entertaining information and opportunities to interact with the library and its followers.
Social media is defined as any web application, site, or account used by the library to facilitate the sharing of opinions and information about library-related subjects and issues. It includes any facility for online publication and commentary, such as blogs, wikis, and social networking sites including but not limited to Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram.
KCPL utilizes social media tools to encourage community involvement and to create a dialog between the library and its patrons regarding library services, resources, events and programs, and community information.
KCPL does not endorse the advertisements of any business or organization, other than the Kenton County Public Library, promoted on any social media site.
Public Comments and Posts
Social media is monitored and managed by KCPL staff. Comments, posts, and messages are allowed on the library's social networking sites if they conform to the library's social media policy. Interactions will be monitored and reviewed for content and relevance. The library reserves the right to remove, hide or edit interactions that violate the policy at any time.
Followers/patrons who violate the social media policy may be warned or blocked at the discretion of the KCPL public relations manager, social media coordinator or executive director. Anyone wanting to contest being banned can do so in writing to the library executive director. It will then be the decision of the executive director.
By commenting and posting on KCPL-hosted social media sites, users agree to KCPL’s social media policy. All content posted to sites maintained by the library is subject to KCPL’s Rules of Conduct. Individuals who violate the library’s social media policy may be banned from KCPL’s social media sites and/or facilities and authorities may be contacted.
- Stay on topic. Comments and posts should be library related.
- Duplicate posts/comments from the same individual will be deleted.
- False information will be deleted.
- Do not include personal information about yourself or others.
- The library is not responsible for user-generated content. A posted comment is the opinion of the user only. Publication of a comment does not imply endorsement or agreement by KCPL.
- Spam and commercial content will be removed. The library will remove posts or comments used for campaigns, political, religious or commercial purposes or for soliciting funds. Gratuitous links to sites are viewed as spam and will result in removal of the comment.
- Individuals should not post anything that they do not have the right to post. The library follows a notice-and-takedown procedure for complaints of copyright violation under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- Posts containing offensive, obscene, threatening, or abusive language or hate speech are strictly prohibited and will be deleted. Individuals are fully responsible for libelous or defamatory comments.
- No harassing, stalking, abusive, or unlawful behavior will be tolerated.
- Attacking, harassing or belittling library staff will not be tolerated.
- Users may report concerns. Administrators will respond to those concerns as soon as possible.
- By submitting content to KCPL’s social media sites, the participant is granting permission for KCPL to use their name, photo, and any content contained within the post without compensation or liability on the part of KCPL.
- Be aware of copyrighted and trademarked materials. Do not place information, intellectual property, logos, trademarks, or photos protected by copyright and trademark laws without the permission of the owner.
Responding to Public Posts
KCPL has a designated team of social media administrators who are responsible for monitoring and responding to public comments, posts, and questions. The KCPL social media administrators respond to messages and comments Monday thru Friday (except holidays) from 8-5. Administrators may take up to 24 business hours to respond.
KCPL public relations manager, social media coordinator and executive director shall have the responsibility of enforcing this policy.