Ludlow Christian Church
Ludlow Christian Church is the oldest congregation in the City of Ludlow. The church was established in October 1841. The congregation originally met in the home of J. Glaspohl. Later meetings were held in a small building on Ash Street. During this era, services were held only when a minister could be found. Baptisms were held on the banks of the Ohio River.
The first church building was constructed in 1851 on a lot donated to the congregation by Mrs. Israel Ludlow. The building was two stories in height and built of brick. Ludlow city government was organized in this building in 1864, and the first Ludlow Public School was housed there.
The current church building was constructed in 1895-96. The building contained a large worship space that sat 250 in a semicircular design. This building also contained one large Sunday school classroom. Total construction costs amounted to $6,000.00. The new church was dedicated on January 19, 1896.
Church membership climbed in the years following the Second World War. In the early 1950s, the basement of the church building was excavated. A kitchen, several classrooms and a fellowship hall were built in this new space. In 1961, an addition to the east side of the church was constructed. This addition was used primarily for Sunday school activities.
In 1985, the Reverend William Carpe was named pastor of Ludlow Christian Church. Under Carpe’s leadership, the congregation has become very active in the Ludlow-Bromley ecumenical movement.
News Enterprise, August 14, 1985, p. 1 and January 13, 1990, p. 3; Ludlow Celebrates, 1864-1989, pp. 11-12.