The earliest Masonic group in Ludlow was the Samuel Reed Lodge, which was established in 1869. This group was responsible for constructing the Masonic Temple at the northeast corner of Elm and Kenner Streets in 1884.
A second Masonic Lodge, the Old Ludlow Lodge, was established in the city in 1904. Ludlow, however, was too small to support two lodges. In 1925, the Samuel Reed Lodge and the Old Ludlow Lodge were merged to form Unity Lodge No. 478.
Unity Lodge purchased Somerset Hall in 1925 and used the building as a clubhouse. Declining membership resulted in the disbanding of the lodge in recent years. Somerset Hall was sold.
Ludlow centennial Souvenir Program, 1864-1965, p. 36.