Community History – Ludlow – City Hall

City Hall

Ludlow city government has been housed in several different locations. The first home of city government was the Odd Fellows Hall on Oak Street. In 1881, the citizens of Ludlow approved the construction of a $2,000.00 city hall. Property was purchased in the 300 block of Oak Street (where the current firehouse stands). A one-story, brick building was constructed. The plans for the structure were drawn by architect E.A. Ashley. The new building was completed by the December 1881 council meeting.

By the 1920s, Ludlow had outgrown both its city building and firehouse. In 1922, the citizens voted to expend $40,000.00 to construct a new combination city hall and firehouse. The vote was approved 753 to 259. In March 1923, Ludlow architect William Purcell presented a set of plans to the mayor and council. The new two-story, wire cut brick building would house two bays for the fire equipment and an office for the police department on the first floor. The second floor would contain a large meeting hall for the city council, a small office for the city clerk and a meeting room for the fire department. Ludlow’s new city hall was dedicated on May 24, 1924 with appropriate ceremonies.

In 1963, the city administration purchased a large building at 231 Elm Street for use as a city garage and office space for the city treasurer. The building was dedicated in the memory of former mayor Winfred W. Smith. This structure is also called the public works building.

In February 1968, the Ludlow Police Department moved from the 1924 building on Oak Street to the Public Works building at 231 Elm Street. In 1979, another move was found necessary. In order to provide handicapped accessibility to Ludlow residents, most city offices were moved to a one-story frame building (227 Elm) located next door to the police department and public works building.

Kentucky Post, November 11, 1922, p. 1, March 1, 1923, 1923, p. 1, March 23, 1923, p. 1, January 2, 1924, 1924, p. 3, May 20, 1924 and May 26, 1924, p. 1; News Enterprise, November 2, 1967, p. 1, February 29, 1968, p. 1 and July 12, 1979, p. 1; Ludlow Celebrates, 1864-1989, p. 17.

Back to Top