Community History - Covington - First English Lutheran
In December 1916, the Reverend J.C. Culler of the Lutheran Church (synod of Ohio) organized a new congregation in the City of Covington. The congregation was named the First English Lutheran Church and initially met in the home of Charles F. Aring, 728 Garrard Street. The first pastor was the Reverend W. H. Little who remained in Covington until 1924.
The congregation worshipped for a number of years in the Knights of Pythias Hall on 4th Street (this building had previously housed the Fourth Street Christian Church from 1875-1913 and was built by the First Presbyterian Church in 1842). The building was purchased by the congregation in 1920. Eventually, the congregation purchased the old Simrall Residence at 1007 Madison Avenue, which had been built in c. 1855. The home was remodeled to serve as a church and classrooms. The building was dedicated for religious purposes on June 23, 1923. During the following year, the Reverend Frank S. Delo was appointed pastor. Previous to this time, Reverend Delo served as a missionary in Kansas and Wyoming.
By 1928, the congregation sponsored a Sunday School, a Pastor’s Aid Society and a branch of the Luther League. The church council at that time consisted of the following members: Dr. L.H. Crisler, George Rice, F.T. Harvard, H.T. Thielking, Kenneth Tanner, Milford Miller, Emma Aring and Mrs. Albert Bregal. The church was out of existence by the mid 1930s.
Kentucky Post, January 9, 1920, p. 1, April 8, 1920, p. 1, June 22, 1923, p. 1 and May 6, 1928, p. 18.