AIDS Volunteers of Northern Kentucky
The AIDS Volunteers of Northern Kentucky (AVNK) was a nonprofit organization founded in 1990 to assist individuals in Northern Kentucky affected by HIV/AIDS. The collection is comprised of the organizational records from 1990-1999. This collection is available at the Covington Branch of the Kenton County Public Library.
Baker Hunt Collection
The Baker-Hunt collection contains numerous documents relating to the history of the Baker and Hunt families, the history and activities of the Foundation and the history of Covington and Northern Kentucky more generally.
Bellevue and Dayton, Campbell County, Kentucky, Fraternal Organizations, 1883-1979 (8 volumes)
Collection includes: Oddfellows, Knights of Pythias and Juior Order United American Mechanics.
C.A. Wicklund Papers
The papers, photographs, music recordings, and miscellaneous material of a Kenton County Agriculture Agent from 1919-1959.
Covington Protestant Children’s Home, Records, 1880-1943 29 Volumes
The records of the Covington Protestant Children’s Home, now known as the Children’s Home of Northern Kentucky, consist of 29 record books for the years 1880-1943. The record books provide detailed information on the daily operation and residents of the Children’s Home.
Debbie Hoffman Letters Collection
The Debbie Hoffman Letters collection is comprised of correspondence, photographs, and newspaper clippings related to the prison reform movement. Much of the correspondence is between Hoffman and death row inmates at the Kentucky State Penitentiary in Eddyville, Kentucky.
Emma Lee Orr
Oral histories and photos of a woman from Northern Kentucky who braved Alaska from 1903 until 1917.
Faces & Places Photograph Collection
A large collections of photographs from Northern Kentucky and the surrounding area.
Family Files Index
Family Files contain information that other genealogical researchers have found on a particular family.
Junior Order United American Mechanics
Membership books for the Junior Order United Mechanics, Garfield Council, #34, Bellevue, Kentucky for the years 1920-1936 and 1944-1950.
Kenton County Bounty Fund Certificates
Bounty fund certificates, receipts, correspondence, and book covers for the Kenton County Bounty Fund. During the Civil War, the federal government set quotas for the number of soldiers to be furnished by each state.
Kenton County Coroner
The Kenton County Coroner Inquest Records are volumes of coroner inquest reports filed between 1910 and 1992. These reports were completed in the event of an inquest, where an individual.s cause of death required further review. Reports include personal information about the deceased, cause of death, and physical descriptions for unidentified persons.This ongoing digitization project is being completed with cooperation of the Kenton County Coroner’s office.
Kentucky Historical Society Historic Marker Applications
The collection is comprised of Kentucky Historical Society Historic Marker Applications submitted to the Advisory Committee from 2012-2015.
Browse Library artwork including Frank Duveneck, Leon Lippert and Dixie Selden.
Local History Files
Local History Files may include newspaper clippings, brochures and pamphlets, original written histories or published historical works.
Historical maps and atlases of Northern Kentucky.
Margaret Strebel Hartman Collection
Research notes, articles, correspondence, and other historical material compiled by a Northern Kentucky historian and genealogist.
Newport Bicentennial Scrapbooks
The Newport Bicentennial Collection is comprised of historical photographs of Campbell County, with a primary focus on Newport and Alexandria. These photographs range in date from approximately 1904 through the 1940’s and consist of images of historical homes, schools, businesses, and community members. The collection also consists of images of businesses, community members, and landmarks within and around Newport in celebration of the 1995 Bicentennial.
The Northern Kentucky Collection, 1888-
The Northern Kentucky Collection is an artificial collection comprised of primary source material either donated as a single item or removed from the Local History Files for safekeeping.
Northern Kentucky Newspaper Collection, 1937-1977
The Northern Kentucky Newspaper Collection is comprised of various local and national newspapers featuring regional and national events of great importance, including World War II, the John F. Kennedy Assassination, the Moon Landing, and Reds’ Baseball.
Northern Kentucky Writers
A collection of short biographical sketches of writers from Northern Kentucky.
Listen to interesting oral history interviews from Northern Kentucky people.
Oral Histories – Veterans
Oral histories from Northern Kentucky veterans.
Ralph Mussman Collection
The records of the Ralph Mussman Collection offer a broad portrait of Mussman’s life as a Northern Kentucky athlete, WWII Air Force veteran, political figure, and mayor of Newport, KY. The Ralph Mussman Collection on GeNKY encompasses scrapbooks, letters, papers, yearbooks, and clippings from various chapters of Ralph Mussman’s life. Documentation begins with his time as an athlete at Newport High School, followed by his studies at Morehead State Teachers College. Mussman served in the U.S. Air Force during WWII as a pilot in the South. The collection also includes documents during his time as mayor, city manager, and recreational director for the city of Newport, KY from the 1950s until his retirement in the 1980s. It was donated to the Kenton County Public Library by Edwina Unrath (nee Mussman) in April 2014.
Virginia Bennett, Collection, 1860-2013
The Virginia Bennett Collection is comprised of photographs, scrapbooks, subject files, articles, books, video cassettes, assorted memorabilia, and miscellaneous material related to the inland river industry along the Ohio River in the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky area.
Washington Fire Engine and Hose Company, Number 1, Newport, KY, 1854-1870, 1962 (1 volume)
The minute book for the Washington Fire Engine and Hose Company, Number 1, Newport, Kentucky
William Longstreet Diaries
William Longstreet Diaries Collection consists of William Longstreet’s diaries, covering the years 1931 and 1933-1942, and .Excerpts from the Diaries of William Longstreet, Sr., 1931-1933 thru 1942. extracted and compiled for family members by William Longstreet III in June 2000. The volume includes photocopies of selected diary pages covering various dates and events.
The Kenton County Public Library Local History & Genealogy Collection holds family papers, personal papers, and organizational records related to the history and people of Northern Kentucky. Finding aids or collection inventories for collections available for use can be viewed below. The material can be accessed by visiting the Local History & Genealogy Department on the 2nd floor of the Covington branch during regular Library hours or by contacting the Local History staff at 859-962-4070 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Alice Taylor Hoffman (1908-1992)
Senior Services of Northern Kentucky Records Collection
- KCPL 01 YMCA Northern Kentucky Photographs
- KCPL 02 Margaret Strebel Hartman Collection
- KCPL 03 Covington Sesquicentennial, 1965
- KCPL 04 Kenton County Protestant Association
- KCPL 05 Devou Theater Group Records
- KCPL 06 Middendorf Collection
- KCPL 07 Furber Collection
- KCPL 08 John Burns Collection
- KCPL 10 C.A. Wicklund Papers
- KCPL 11 Kenton County Public Library
- KCPL 14 Lewisburg Neighborhood Association
- KCPL 19 Kenton County Bounty Fund Certificates
- KCPL 21 Children’s Home of Northern KY Inventory_Final
- KCPL 23 Aids Volunteers of Northern Kentucky Inventory
- KCPL 26 Junior Order United American Mechanics
- KCPL 32 Ritchie Family Photograph Collection
- KCPL 33 Virginia Bennett Collection
- KCPL 34 Kentucky Historical Society Historic Marker Applications
- KCPL 43 Historic Civil War and Reconstruction Newspapers
- KCPL 46 Ralph Mussman Collection
- KCPL 47 Mack Army Memorabilia Collection
- KCPL 52 Debbie Hoffman Letters Collection
- KCPL 57 St. James AME Church Collection
- KCPL 58 Senior Services of Northern Kentucky Records
- KCPL 60 Dayton, Kentucky Homemakers Club
- KCPL 64 Newport Bicentennial Collection
Researchers interested in accessing the materials are asked to follow the
Guidelines for Use of Archives Collections:
1. All researchers should have photographic identification and register with the staff at the public desk.
2. Researchers must use pencils or a laptop/tablet for note taking. No pens or markers.
3. All backpacks, bags, computer cases, and/or purses should be placed on the floor away from the material.
3. No food or drink allowed in the department.
4. All items must be handled with care and kept in the original order within a folder.
5. Items can be photocopied (see staff for photocopy flags) or photographed with a digital camera or phone (see staff for template). Staff reserve the right to refuse to photocopy material that may, in our judgement, be too fragile to photocopy and/or violate copyright law.